Requirements for Crew and Space Flight Participants; Proposed Rule

From Mark Reiff <markreiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:58:53 -0600

FYI,

"Human Space Flight Requirements for Crew and Space Flight
Participants; Proposed Rule"
NASA via SpaceRef.com
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=19129

: [Federal Register: December 29, 2005 (Volume 70, Number 249)]
: [Proposed Rules]
: [Page 77261-77290]
: From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access
: [wais.access.gpo.gov] [DOCID:fr29de05-24]

: SUMMARY: The FAA proposes requirements for human space flight of
: crew and space flight participants as required by the Commercial
: Space Launch Amendments Act of 2004. If adopted, this rulemaking
: would establish requirements for crew qualifications, training, and
: notification. It would also establish training and informed consent
: requirements for space flight participants. The rulemaking would
: also modify existing financial responsibility requirements to
: account for the FAA's new authority for space flight participants
: and crew, and to issue experimental permits. The experimental
: permit is the subject of a separate rulemaking. The FAA is
: conducting this rulemaking in order to fulfill its responsibilities
: under the new act. The requirements are designed to provide an
: acceptable level of safety to the general public, and to notify
: individuals on board of the risks associated with a launch or
: reentry.

: DATES: Send your comments on or before February 27, 2006.

: ADDRESSES: You may send comments [identified by Docket Number
: FAA-2005- 23449] using any of the following methods:

: DOT Docket Web site: Go to http://dms.dot.gov and follow the
: instructions for sending your comments electronically.

: Government-wide rulemaking Web site: Go to
: http://www.regulations.gov and follow the instructions for sending
: your comments electronically.

: Mail: Docket Management Facility; U.S. Department of
: Transportation, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Nassif Building, Room
: PL-401, Washington, DC 20590.

: Fax: 1-202-493-2251.

: Hand Delivery: Room PL-401 on the plaza level of the Nassif
: Building, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC, between 9 a.m.
: and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.

: For more information on the rulemaking process, see the
: SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this document.

: Docket: To read background documents or comments received, go to
: http://dms.dot.gov at any time or to Room PL-401 on the plaza level
: of the Nassif Building, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC,
: between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal
: holidays.

: FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For technical information, contact
: Kenneth Wong, Deputy Manager, Licensing and Safety Division,
: Commercial Space Transportation, AST-200, Federal Aviation
: Administration, 800 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20591;
: telephone (202) 267- 8465; facsimile (202) 267-3686, e-mail
: ken.wong@xxxxxxx . For legal information, contact Laura Montgomery,
: Senior Attorney, Office of the Chief Counsel, Federal Aviation
: Administration, 800 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20591;
: telephone (202) 267-3150; facsimile (202) 267-7971, e-mail
: laura.montgomery@xxxxxxx .

: SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

: Comments Invited

: The FAA invites interested persons to participate in this
: rulemaking by submitting written comments, data, or views. We also
: invite comments relating to the economic, environmental, energy, or
: federalism impacts that might result from adopting the proposals in
: this document. The most helpful comments reference a specific
: portion of the proposal, explain the reason for any recommended
: change, and include supporting data. We ask that you send us two
: copies of written comments.

: We will file in the docket all comments we receive, as well as a
: report summarizing each substantive public contact with FAA
: personnel concerning this proposed rulemaking. The docket is
: available for public inspection before and after the comment
: closing date. If you wish to review the docket in person, go to the
: address in the ADDRESSES section of this preamble between 9 a.m.
: and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. You may
: also review the docket using the Internet at the web address in the
: ADDRESSES section.

: Before acting on this proposal, we will consider all comments we
: receive on or before the closing date for comments. We will
: consider comments filed late if it is possible to do so without
: incurring expense or delay. We may change this proposal in light of
: the comments we receive.

: Availability of Rulemaking Documents

: You can get an electronic copy using the Internet by: (1) Searching
: the Department of Transportation's electronic Docket Management
: System (DMS) Web page (http://dms.dot.gov/search); (2) Visiting the
: Office of Rulemaking's Web page at
: http://www.faa.gov/avr/arm/index.cfm; or
: (3) Accessing the Government Printing Office's Web page at
: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html .

: Table of Contents

: I. Background
: II. General Discussion of the Proposals
:  A. Launch and Reentry With Crew
:   1. Definitions Applicable to Crew
:   2. Authority and Process
:   3. Pilot and Remote Operator Qualifications
:   4. Medical Standards for Crew
:   5. Crew Training
:   6. Crew Notification
:   7. Environmental Control and Life Support System
:   8. Smoke Detection and Fire Suppression
:   9. Human Factors
:  10. Verification Program
:  11. Crew and Space Flight Participant Waiver of Claims Against
:      U.S. Government
:  B. Launch and Reentry With a Space Flight Participant
:   1. Risk to Space Flight Participants
:   2. Informed Consent
:   3. Physical Examination
:   4. Space Flight Participant Training
:   5. Security Requirements
:  C. Financial Responsibility and Waiver of Liability
:   1. Proposal To Combine Parts 440 and 450
:   2. Customers of Permittee
:   3. Space Flight Participants and Crew
: III. Rulemaking Analyses and Notices
: IV. The Proposed Amendment

: To read comments on this proposed regulation go here and type in
: "23449".
: http://dms.dot.gov/search/searchFormSimple.cfm

--
Mark Reiff <markreiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>